In This Page
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk and you have to walk in the road, always walk FACING traffic
Dress to be seen. Brightly colored clothing makes it easier for drivers to see you during the daytime. At night, you need to wear special reflective material on you shoes, cap or jacket to reflect the headlights of cars coming towards you.
- Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks
- Stop at curb, or the edge of the road
- Stop and look left, then right, then left again, before you step into the street
- If you see a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no other vehicles are coming
- If a car is parked where you are crossing, make sure there is no driver in the car. Then go to the edge of the car and look left-right-left until no cars are coming; looking for cars while you are crossing
and remember, WALK - Don’t Run!
For further information go to: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov